This is a list of frequently (and infrequently!) asked questions. There are also helpful links at the bottom of the page.
- 1 General Questions
- 2 Forum Questions
- 2.1 "Where are the forum rules?"
- 2.2 "What do I do if I see someone breaking a rule?"
- 2.3 "The rules say how how small images should be, but is there a limit for the total signature size?"
- 2.4 "Who are the forum staff? Is there a list?"
- 2.5 "How many forum accounts can I have? I have a roommate/sibling/partner/etc."
- 2.6 "I'm having issues with my account, what can I do to fix it?"
- 3 Other Questions
- 4 FAQ (Cont.)
- 4.1 What is an IWAD?
- 4.2 I just got Doom from Steam, can I still play Zandronum?
- 4.3 Which games can Zandronum run?
- 4.4 Zandronum can't find an IWAD! What do I do?
- 4.5 What platforms can Zandronum run on?
- 4.6 Zandronum is wonderful! Who created this amazing piece of work?
- 4.7 How dare you foul the sanctity of Doom by adding new elements and slightly altering the physics!
- 4.8 Is Zandronum open source?
- 4.9 How do I add colors to my name?
- 4.10 I get kicked from servers due to Authentication Failure, what do I do?
- 4.11 Help! Nobody can see my server!
- 4.12 How do I install the latest beta build of Zandronum?
- 4.13 I have strange OpenGL problems, what should I do?
- 4.14 "So what happens now?"
- 5 Related Articles
"What on Earth is Zandronum?"
- Zandronum, formerly known as Skulltag, seeks to reduce some of the bulk of SkullTag and serve as a clean slate both for the port as well as the community.
- In other words, Zandronum is a direct continuation of SkullTag, being used as a reboot for the port and to rebuild the community.
"Is THAT really the name?"
- Torr got tired of the month-long discussions. He picked this as an end-all. It also guarantees relevant results on Google.
- Please deal with it.
"Will this port be kept up to date with ZDoom's updates as opposed to being like 1000 revisions or so that Skulltag generally was behind?"
- That is the plan, but we can't get that release going without testers, so check the tracker, check the development builds and Zandronum testing subforums!
- Note: You do not need to register on the tracker, just use or register your forum account to log in to it
"Help! I need HELP!"
- What do you need help with? Don't just ask to ask, go here:
"What do I use to play Zandronum online?"
- Or, "How do I use Zandronum with (Doomseeker/IDE/insert favorite browser here)?"
This area is a stub, please refine it.
- If you were previously using Doomseeker for Skulltag, you will need to update.
- If you're using Internet Doom Explorer, you need to update as well.
- Note: Make sure you've configured your directory/file paths properly in the options/settings
"Where are the forum rules?"
- Right here. They also appear when you register on the forum.
"What do I do if I see someone breaking a rule?"
- If the staff are unaware of it, nothing at all!
- Please click the Report button on problem posts and summarize the issue in the text box that appears.
"The rules say how how small images should be, but is there a limit for the total signature size?"
- The height of signatures is capped at 152 pixels. Signature width is stretched to fit the width of posts.
- Note: A scrollbar also appears automatically when signatures are too tall, or when a spoiler inside them is opened. This was the main reason the hard limit on signature height was added
"Who are the forum staff? Is there a list?"
- Yes. Staff list: https://zandronum.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=team
- A list of Zandronum.com e-mails is also here: https://zandronum.com/contact
"How many forum accounts can I have? I have a roommate/sibling/partner/etc."
- You may have up to 2 accounts, as per the forum software configuration. If you need any more, please contact the staff.
"I'm having issues with my account, what can I do to fix it?"
- Or, "I'm having trouble activating my account, or resetting my password, or other account issues. Help please?"
- If you registered an account and have not received a confirmation e-mail, please try the following links:
- Resend Account Activation Code: http://zandronum.com/forum/member.php?action=resendactivation
- Activation help thread: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1672
- Note: Un-activated accounts may post here for when the link above does not work
- Lost Password Recovery Form: http://zandronum.com/forum/member.php?action=lostpw
- Use this if you need to reset your password
- For more information, or if you still experience any issues or have any questions, please visit this thread:
- Staff Contact info & e-mail system: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3517
"What happened to the old Skulltag website and forum?"
- Short reason:
- Due to time commitments and differences between the the Skulltag.com creator/webmaster and staff members, the SkullTag website was closed by the creator/webmaster and the project's open-source code was forked/split by Torr Samaho into Zandronum.
- Long reason:
- A few years ago (around 2009-2010) the creator and original lead developer of SkullTag had began work on a commercial game and no longer had the time any more to maintain or update Skulltag.
- On February 13, 2012, Skulltag officially went open-source (similar to Doom itself), and development was continued on Skulltag.net (now defunct; archived copy here) by Torr & what would later become the Zandronum development staff.
- In 2012, the remaining ST team forked the ST opensource code (legally, mind you) to Zandronum. On June 7, 2012, the creator of SkullTag officially announced the discontinuation of the port.
"Why aren't my old Skulltag wads working?! Missing Skulltag textures and sprites?!"
- Short reason:
- The now separate skulltag_data.pk3 resources do not auto-load with Zandronum. It is no longer directly supported and we can not encourage its further use due to its old age.
- Long reason:
- We were aware of the consequences of removing it when we made the decision and ultimately, we felt that we could no longer directly support it since a large amount of the content used within it was un-credited, ripped or otherwise repurposed from other places. It would have taken a very long time to get into contact with each and every individual responsible for creating the content over the decade of SkullTag's existence to keep the auto-loading of the .pk3 enabled.
- By making this decision, this now allows free Shareware IWADs to be supported again.
"How do I load my old SkullTag mods?"
- You basically need to load two files to get older SkullTag mods running properly. This also allows you to host old ST mods online.
- skulltag_actors.pk3, which should come with the latest Zandronum
- skulltag_data.pk3, which has download mirrors here: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=417
- Note: You may need to configure skulltag_actors.pk3 to load before skulltag_data.pk3
NOTE: The following was converted/updated from the old Skulltag FAQ.
Parts may be out of date, as Skulltag was last updated in 2010.
- This section answers some of the most frequently asked questions about Zandronum, especially those people ask when trying to get started.
What is an IWAD?
- An IWAD is a file that contains all the data for a Doom-engine game, such as Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, or Strife. An IWAD is required to play Zandronum in any form.
I just got Doom from Steam, can I still play Zandronum?
- Absolutely! Simply go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common and copy the doom.wad or doom2.wad files into your Zandronum folder.
Which games can Zandronum run?
- Chex Quest
- Hexen (Survival won't work)
Each game's respective sequels/expansion packs will work as well. (Except for "advanced" games outside the scope of the id Tech 1 Doom engine, like Doom 3, Heretic 2, Hexen 2, etc)
Zandronum can't find an IWAD! What do I do?
- First, make sure you have a copy of Doom or Doom II.
- Got the original disc? The files will be on the CD.
- Is Doom installed? Try searching your computer for "doom.wad", or "doom2.wad".
- Used steam? Just see the above instructions.
- Once you find the files, just copy them into your Zandronum folder.
- Don't have Doom?
- We recommend that you get Doom 2, as most servers are hosted on it.
- If you don't want to buy Doom, you can get FreeDoom, which is a free, community re-make.
- However, it's best to just buy the originals.
- They're available on Steam for $10 dollars.
- Or, you can get them (as well as Heretic and Hexen) at iD software.
What platforms can Zandronum run on?
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows 2003
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Linux based OS (FreeBSD is server-only)
- Mac OSX
Zandronum is wonderful! Who created this amazing piece of work?
- Thanks so much for the compliment! The team includes many people, which you can read about extensively in the Credits article.
How dare you foul the sanctity of Doom by adding new elements and slightly altering the physics!
- Well now, that's not really a question is it? Anyway, you can configure Zandronum to largely emulate the original doom2.exe settings; none of the newness is forced on you.
Is Zandronum open source?
- Yes. It is based on the Skulltag source code, and is released under a Sleepycat license. More info is available on the frontpage of Zandronum.com.
- The Doom source code was originally released in 1997 under a proprietary license that does not require to provide the source code for modifications released in executable form. ZDoom is based on the original source code release and therefore falls under the same license. ZDoom even is incompatible with the GPL, because it contains parts of the Hexen source that only was released under a license that is not compatible with the GPL.
- The fact that the Doom source was re-released under the GPL in 1999 has no influence on the release under the original license.
How do I add colors to my name?
Colorizing your name works the way you coloring strings in ACS. To colorize a part of your name, simply put:
... before that part of your name. Whatever letter you pick (a-i) determines the color of the letters after it. So, say I wanted to make my name red. I'd type (at the console)
Since g is the code for red, that makes my name appear in red. If I wanted the first part in red, and the second in blue, I'd do:
Since h is the code for blue, everything after it ("evil") will appear blue. Pretty simple, huh? A list of available colors can be found here.
There is also a pwad that most servers nowaday use named "NewTextColours". Here is a link to it, and the codes needed to use them.
Go nuts! :) It can also be done when chatting, so enjoy.
I get kicked from servers due to Authentication Failure, what do I do?
This can be due to either the Server is using an updated or outdated PWAD file. If you get kicked from a Doom 2 server, then you might need to patch your IWAD file.
Help! Nobody can see my server!
Please see the Port Forwarding page.
How do I install the latest beta build of Zandronum?
When you want to try out the latest beta build of Zandronum, you will have to perform some extra tasks.
Zandronum beta versions only supply you enough data to run the build itself; ensure that additional files like skulltag_data.pk3 are also up to date if you plan to use data from those for your server. You will need to either:
- A: Make a new folder specifically for the Beta version, copy data that is needed with the beta version.
- B: Just only paste the beta build over the latest public release. However, you will not be able to join other servers that are not running the same Beta build as you, due to incompatible build or additional files (such as skulltag_data.pk3), and you must use a clean configuration file (.ini).
I have strange OpenGL problems, what should I do?
Please take a moment to read the OpenGL FAQ, this will help you on resolving your OpenGL problems.
"So what happens now?"
Check out the Community Events section of this forum.
Already played Zandronum? Then talk about Zandronum!
Tired of talking about Zandronum? Then talk about other things!
You can keep up with announcements, development, and other staff things at the top of our forums.